Friday, January 22, 2010

reflection paper

Reflection Paper #1, question # 2
The Science of Psychological Well Being
I love the analogy used at the beginning of this article, The Wise Heart. The article compares a golden Buddha, masked in clay…that has weathered many storms, political changes, and invading armies. Finally the clay cracks, to reveal the golden “noble self.” I desperately, no…more like vehemently believe that we are all good and possess this “nobility” within ourselves. This buddhanature.
I think we have a tendency to enclose or mask ourselves. We are prone to hide our true selves, our true nature, our true raw beings. It is unfortunate. That we have gotten to the point of cowering under the shadow of our true selves by lavishly decorating with “shoulds have’s” and “should be’s.” Wanting approval so badly, but ironically, a false bottomed approval. A happiness imposter looms over our heads and beckons us to jump through these hoops. Hoops comprised of artificial, temporary, society fed garbage, only leaving you with an unquenched thirst.
It is so easy for me to say these things, but I find myself in the midst of the madness. Honestly, I have been reading a lot of literature lately about enlightenment. About healthy living, spiritually. It has helped me monumentally. My attitude HAS shifted subtly. However, I still find myself judging others…almost innately it seems sometimes. And I know that I am judged as well. I can feel it.
I suppose recognition is a great stepping stone. Upon recognizing the injustice of judgemental behaviors, I begin to think a bit more clearly. That people, behind the façade, behind the decorative display…are really just like myself. And I love that we should be respectful of this with everyone we meet each day. That we should take time to inquire and learn about the real products offered instead of merely window shopping.