Sunday, January 24, 2010

sugary slopes

my first campus publication.....



Sugary Slopes
Weaving through the great outdoors of Southwestern Montana, I found myself passing creeks donning names such as ‘Moose’ and ‘Swan’. An immature bald eagle gliding effortlessly overhead and a group of mountain goats idly passing their time were just a few attractions that accompanied my Saturday morning drive.
My destination is Lone Mountain. Particularly the northern face: Moonlight Basin ski resort. I arrived, professedly green on what types of sugar the mountain had to offer. Fortunately, I was in good hands, being chauffeured around the mountain by the adult snow sports supervisor, Christo Pierce. He was able to shed some light on some of the mountain basics.
With 1900 acres of rideable terrain and a summit of 11,166 feet, the mountain boasts a landscape of groomers, a freestyle terrain park, moguls, open bowls, tree skiing, and steep chutes and gullies that could satiate most any riders appetite.
We spoke of the Headwaters, the more extreme terrain on the top of the face, accessible by hiking from the Headwaters Lift to the ridge.
The six-shooter is the primary lift at Moonlight, rising 1850 vertical feet from the base. For the more advanced terrain, you can take the Headwaters lift, which meets the top of the six-shooter and gains an additional 850 feet, marking the boundary line between Moonlight and Big Sky Resort.
Incessantly gobbling up these bits of information was overshadowing my skiing, apparently, and it was suggested that I put my notepad down and work on my feeble turns. With my pride at stake, I spent the next hour, as instructed, stretching my turns out like “salt water taffy.” And low and behold, a graceful fluidity emerged from hiding. Achieved by a metaphorical three little words of instruction: salt water taffy.
Besides the breathtaking views and the equally alluring terrain, Moonlight Basin offers a plethora of events on a regular basis. On Saturday, Feb. 6, Moonlight Basin is hosting the Peanut Butter and Rail Jam, the 8th stop of Volcom’s amateur snowboard tour and Volcum’s only stop in Montana! The layout of the event is freshly formatted, with three rails dug side-by-each to create a single large rail zone. The event is absolutely free! There are a bounty of prizes, free PB&J sandwiches, and a free Volcom PBRJ shirt just for entering! You can sign up the day of the event at the Madison Village Base Area or at www.volcom.com. Note: space is limited to 200 contestants and fills up quickly so don’t wait!
Hope to see you there! I will be the girl transitioning my ski moves to that of a piece of candy.